But given that our lives at times require air travel, it is important to mitigate its impact. There are many sites selling carbon offsets, but they all vary in precision of climate maths, efficiency of administration and quality of investment projects. It is very important that the money gathered by selling offsets is invested in meaningful, timely and verifiable projects. The currently best option to offset flight emissions is atmosfair. Their focus on the airline industry makes them a good partner for environmentally acceptable air travel.
Some of the things that make atmosfair stand out are:
- Over 90% of all investments go into CDM Gold Standard project (the highest available standard for climate protection projects).
- High efficiency of administration with 92% of all funds going into projects.
- Detailed emission calculation specific to air travel, including non-CO2 impacts.
- Research on efficiency of airlines, published in a detailed airline index.
- Engaging with corporation to optimize and offset business travel.
Next time we fly, we can consider our personal climate budget. Given the climate community's stated goal of limiting the average rise in Earth’s temperature by 2050 to 2°C above the pre-industrial level, we have a global budget of about 750 billion tonnes of CO2 until the year 2050. Given a world population of 8.2 billion people, this means that each person on Earth has a yearly budget of roughly 2.3 tonnes of CO2. We can do our own maths on how many flights that allows us to support this important goal. Let's do our part!